- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 lbs. hot breakfast sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 Ounce) whole tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 Ounce) tomato paste
- 4 Tablespoons dried parsley (divided in half)
- 2 Tablespoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoon salt (divided in half)
- 3 cups lowfat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup grated (not Shredded) Parmesan cheese
- 1 lbs. sliced mozzarella cheese (approximately)
- 1 package (10 Ounce) lasagna noodles
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (add 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling pasta water)
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, combine ground beef, sausage, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain off the fat. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 Tbs. parsley, 2 Tbs. basil and 1 tsp. salt. After adding the tomatoes, the sauce mixture should simmer for approx 30-45 minutes while you are working on the other steps.
3. In a medium bowl, mix cottage cheese, beaten eggs, grated Parmesan, 2 more tablespoons parsley, and 1 more teaspoon salt. Stir together well. Set aside.
4. Cook lasagna until “al dente”
1. Arrange cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of a baking pan, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Spread evenly. Cover cottage cheese with a layer of sliced mozzarella cheese. Spoon a little less than half the meat/sauce mixture over the top.2. Repeat, ending with meat/sauce mixture. Sprinkle top generously with extra Parmesan.
3. Either freeze, refrigerate for up to two days, or bake immediately: 350-degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until top is hot and bubbly.