Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 18 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (divided into  1/4c. portions)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the beef, crackers, bell pepper, onion, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and 1/4 cup of brown sugar into a large bowl and mix well. (You gotta get down and dirty with this one and use your hands, but WASH THEM FIRST, please! I'm a nurse, what can I say...)
2. Place into a greased baking dish forming the mixture into a loaf shape. (I used an 8x8 dish, and formed a square). Bake for 1 hour.
3. Remove from oven and drain off the grease, being careful not to dump the loaf out of the dish!
4. Stir the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and ketchup together and pour on top. Bake for an additional 15 mins. If you have a meat thermometer, you want to make sure the thickest portion of the loaf reaches at least 150 degrees.
5. Remove from oven again, and let stand for approx 10-15 mins. Serve and enjoy!