Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hashbrown Casserole

This is probably one of my most frequent go-to recipes. I loooove this recipe cause I will pretty much devour the entire casserole in just a few days. I end up eating it breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or just as a quick snack. Yumm! And, it's one of those dishes that actually tastes a little better (in my opinion) as a leftover, cause it thickens up a little once it's had a chance to sit in the fridge for a bit.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cans condensed cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom) soup- sometimes I'll even do one of each
  • 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) sour cream
  • 4 Tbsp butter (divided in half, and softened) - you will use 2 Tbsp here and 2 Tbsp there
  • 1 (2lb) package frozen shredded hashbrowns, thawed
  • 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 cups corn flakes cereal
  • black pepper
  • garlic salt
  • onion powder
DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
  • In a large bowl mix the soup, sour cream, 2 Tbsp butter, and hashbrowns. Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder to the mixture.
  • Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Pour the mixture into the dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, as well as enough corn flakes to thinly cover the top. Then pour 2 Tbsp melted butter over the cornflakes.
  • Bake for 45mins-1 hour until cheese is melted and bubbly. I have made this many many times, and sometimes it takes even longer than an hour to cook, but I have found that it's very hard to ruin this dish. Unless you forget about it for 2 hours, I'm pretty sure you can't over cook this. It may still be a little soupy when you remove it from the oven, but like I said, as it cools (either sitting out on the counter or in the fridge), it will thicken up.

1 comment:

  1. we made this for dinner tonight. yum! thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete